On October 20th, 2018, muay thai and K1 kickboxing champion Pascal Schroth, stepped into a ring in China to defend his K1 title under what he believed to be regular K1 kickboxing rules. For the 25 year old champion, this bout was just another day at the office. His opponent Quinghao Meng from the city of Taicang China was just another body in front of pascal ascent to superstardom. As a matter of fact, Mr. Schroth’s confidence was pretty high because he had already beaten Meng the year before.
So on that Saturday night, despite the language barrier, the confusion, and the sketchy promoters, Schroth walked inside the ring but would have to be carried out.
Click Arrow for Audio Podcast
Music: Santana Town by Juelz Santana
TimeLine of Events
- October 2017 at Glory 46, Schroth defeats Quinghao Meng.
- September 5th 2018, rematch is set between K1 champion Pascal Schroth and Quinghao Meng.
- October 11th, WLK ask Schroth if he has ever fought under Sanda rules. Schroth answers no and tells WLK that he only fights under muay thai or K1 rules. According to Schroth, WLK agrees that the fight will be under K1 rules.
- On Wednesday 17th of October, Pascal Schroth, along with his coach and several teammates, leave Phuket Thailand and arrives in China.
- Thursday the 18th, Schroth goes through a promotional tour and does a series of photoshoots and interviews. Schroth is given a script in chinese to recite during the interviews.
- On Friday the 19th, Schroth weighs ins and does a press conference. Pre-fight rehearsals are scheduled for that evening, but for unexplained reasons, the rehearsals are rescheduled for the 20th at 1pm; the day of the fight.
- On Saturday the 20th, Schroth and the rest of the non-chinese fighters have to wait 40 minutes to start rehearsals. The rehearsals go on for around 30 minutes.
- Around 6pm, Pascal Schroth arrives at the stadium. Up to this point, there hasn’t been any fighters meeting, rules have not been established, and fighters have not been examined by any doctor.
- At around 8pm, Schroth’s bout against Meng begins. The fighters touch gloves. Within the first minute, Meng wraps his arms around Schroth’s waist, picks him up and slams the German to the ground head first. 10 seconds later, the champion is counted out by the referee. He is eventually placed on a stretcher and carried out the ring into an ambulance and taken to a mysterious hospital.
- Sunday the 21st. X-rays and scans are administered in silent. Schroth has yet to see a doctor and wasn’t receive any diagnose of his injury.
- On Monday the 22th, Schroth returns to Phuket Thailand where he is properly diagnosed. C5 vertebrae is broken.